Monday, April 16, 2007

Hey big spenders — $1,000 Mint Juleps!


If you know me, you know I'm cheap. I'm always looking for the best happy hour specials around town and am weary of unnecessary cover charges (when there's no band to entertain). Any drink more than $5 makes me nervous.
So here we've got the $1,000 Mint Julep to be served at this year's Derby - and I'm literally shakin' in my boots. To me, a thousand bucks is an entire vacation (I once went to Ireland for a mere $500, which included airfare, hotel and my very own tour guide). So dropping $1,000 on one drink, no matter how delicious, seems crazy. But there's good news - it's for a good cause, so if you're rich and you know it, buy one, or better yet, buy me one.
Here's the lowdown: Woodford Reserve will be selling 132 of these gold-plated gems (one for each year the Derby's been held) online starting tomorrow (April 17). It's a first-come, first-serve deal, with so many for sale, and some up for auction by Christie's. And there will be at least 10 for sale Derby Day at the Downs, if you happen to place a good bet early on and want to indulge. All proceeds go to the Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA), which assists retired horses and disabled jockeys.
Oh, and here's the best part - the ingredients are as fancy as the price: mint from the coast of Ireland, organic sugar from Queensland, Australia, ice from the Bavarian Alps (what?!) and the delectable Woodford Reserve from Versailles, Kentucky. Makes me feel all warm and worldly inside already.
You know you want one. Go to www.woodfordreservemintjulep.com to make your bid. I can meet you in the parking lot on Derby Day if you need help drinking it.

1 comment:

Woodford Man said...

I just wanted to thank the Academy and say that I'm truly honored knowing that the richest cocktail on the planet is name after myself. Thank you very much.