Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bar Belle from 10/10/07 LEO

The Bar Belle
BY SARA HAVENS

Chill out, Miller
What’s with this new Miller Chill? What marketing genius decided that our lives would be simpler if we didn’t have to spend the time putting lime and salt in our beer? As a Corona drinker, I can certainly understand the need for lime. But salt? Yuck. They’re certainly promoting the hell out of it — every bar I go to it’s either on special, or scantily clad gazelle girls are handing out free samples. It’s hard to turn down free beer, so I’ve endured my fair share of Miller Chill. It’s just not good.

Miller Lite is a solid choice for American beer drinkers — at 96 calories a pop, only one beer, Michelob Ultra, has fewer calories (95). It certainly has more taste than its rival, Bud Light. So why go messing with a good thing? If I want a lime in my Miller Lite, I’ll order it the old-fashioned way: the Okolona Corona.

Gin lovers unite
There’s a new gin in town, and he goes by the name of New Amsterdam. And he’s absolutely fabulous … I’ve spent several nights with him over the last month or so. But I’m willing to share. If your bar is lucky enough to stock him, don’t hesitate to give him a whirl. He’s smooth and subtle and not too piney. He’ll make you laugh, he’ll tug at your heart strings … he may even make you lose your balance. But it’s all in fun. I heard he gets around, but you can definitely find him at the Back Door (1250 Bardstown Road, 451-0659), on special now for a mere $3.25.

Off to Huber’s this weekend for the always delectable wine tasting. I predict a red-wine hangover from hell. Got any remedies? E-mail me at shavens@leoweekly.com or check out my blog at www.leoweekly.com

1 comment:

Woodford Man said...

Chill is the skankiest beer I've ever had. Must not be working, now that I've heard Molson Coors and Miller are going to merge. Look out AB!!!

Amsterdam is crap and dangerous. Try Stellar Gin!

Hangover prevention: three IB-pro-fens and one multi-vitamin before bed. It's worked four out of the last five times I've tried it!