Saturday, September 8, 2007

Even more notes from Liverpool ...


(photo is of Philharmonic Pub)

In the art college days, John Lennon frequented the Philharmonic Pub and Ye Cracke, two watering holes that were an easy walk from school.

My travel mates and I stopped in at both yesterday, and I tried something familiar and something new. At the Phil, I washed down my sausage and mash with a pint of Old Speckled Hen, which is readily available in the States in cans and bottles.

I may be wrong, but I do believe it is smoother and creamier on draught in England. Or maybe that’s just my taste buds playing tricks on me.

Stopping at Ye Cracke was a real treat as well. We sat in the nook where John, Stuart Sutcliffe and others often drank pints, got pissed and solved the world’s problems. There I had one of the 10 or 12 (it’s a blur now) cask ales on tap at Ye Cracke.

The one I chose was Wessex Gold, a lightly hopped and wonderfully bodied beer. This one was served near room temperature, which brought out all the flavor. And then some.

Today, my goal is to drink more stuff I have never had. And I’m please to report no American swill has crossed my lips.

Cheers again from Liverpool.

—Kevin Gibson

1 comment:

Woodford Man said...

Can you possibly go wrong with drinking at a place called Ye Cracke?